THE SINGAPORE INSTITUTE OF ARBITRATORS
About the Institute
The Singapore Institute of Arbitrators is an independent professional body established in 1981. We have nearly 1000 members, based in Singapore and abroad, from a diverse range of professional backgrounds. Many of them are active practitioners working in dispute resolution, including as arbitrator, mediator, counsel, expert witness or at arbitral institutions.
We are a truly neutral professional body with no link or affiliation to any particular industry, but bonded together with a common interest in arbitration and other alternative dispute resolution procedures.
Our mission includes the education of arbitration practitioners, the promotion of arbitration and the development of the profession of arbitrator, as well as providing social and networking opportunities for all those involved in arbitration in Singapore. We have a particular focus on professional training and development, and organise talks, seminars and training courses for members and the public on a regular basis. We also act as an appointing authority for the appointment of arbitrators upon request.
We contribute to thought-leadership in the arbitral community, for example by publishing guidelines (for third party funders in 2017 and on party representative ethics in 2018), by responding to official consultations and by providing a forum for practitioners to discuss current issues. We publish a regular newsletter and in 2019 we have launched the SIArb Arbitration Journal.
SIArb is a founder member of RAIF, the Regional Arbitral Institutes Forum, which brings together seven professional institutes across the Asia-Pacific region.
We have three main classes of membership: Fellows, Members and Associate Members. Admission for Fellows and Members includes passing our Fellowship Assessment Course or International Entry Course respectively, or demonstrating equivalent knowledge and experience.
Membership benefits include:
- Professional recognition: post-nominal letters (FSIArb, MSIArb, ASIArb) and listing on our website
- Panel memberships
- Continuing professional development
- Professional Code of Conduct & Ethics
- Professional networking
- Updates on the law and practice of arbitration, including quarterly e-newsletters and 2 issues of the SIArb Arbitration Journal each year
- Discounted entry to events organised by SIArb, other RAIF member institutes and certain other partner organisations
- Opportunities to get involved in the Institute, through membership of our Committees.
We run an active programme of events, open to members and non-members, including:
- courses on arbitration for prospective Members and Fellows;
- our flagship Commercial Arbitration Symposium;
- networking events, including our Annual Dinner and our Members’ Night; and
- a regular CPD programme.
More details of our past events and upcoming events are available in our searchable Event Calendar.
How to join
We welcome applications to join the Institute. Applications may be made via our website, where you can also find full details of the admission criteria for each membership category.
Go to: https://siarb.org.sg/index.php/membership/categories.