The three categories of membership in the Institute as per our Constitution are:
5.5.1 Associate Members shall be elected by the Council and every candidate for election shall:
188.8.131.52 at the date of application have reached the age of twenty-one (21) years, and
184.108.40.206 hold such professional qualification or have passed such examination as the Council may prescribe, and who have such knowledge of and interest in the subject of arbitration as the Council may deem sufficient to qualify him for admission as an Associate Member.
* An entrance fee of $150.00 and an annual subscription fee of $95.00 are payable. An Associate Member is entitled to affix the initials "ASIArb" after his name.
5.4.1 Members shall be elected by the Council and every candidate for election shall:
5.4.2 at the date of application have attained the age of twenty-five (25) years; and
5.4.3 hold such professional qualification or have passed such examination as the Council may prescribe; and
5.4.4 have such knowledge and experience of the law and practice of arbitration as the Council may deem sufficient to qualify him for admission as a Member, or
5.4.5 satisfy the Council that he is in all respect a fit and proper person for admission to the Institute.
* An entrance fee of $240.00 and an annual subscription fee of $130.00 are payable. A Member is entitled to affix the initials "MSIArb" after his name.
5.3.1 Fellows shall be elected by the Council and every candidate for election shall:
220.127.116.11 at the date of application have attained the age of thirty-five (35) years; and
18.104.22.168 Hold such professional qualification or have passed such examination as the Council may prescribe or has been exempted by the Council from any of these requirements; and
22.214.171.124 satisfy the Council that he is in all respects a suitable person for admission as a Fellow; and be able to provide the Council with evidence of his wide knowledge and experience of the law and practice of arbitration in a profession, occupation or calling as the Council may deem sufficient to qualify him to become a Fellow; or
126.96.36.199 Have not or been exempted from any of the requirements as set out in 188.8.131.52
Provided always that the Council may:
5.3.2 in exceptional circumstances waive the requirement that an applicant for election as a Fellow shall have attained the age of thirty-five (35) years.
5.3.3 in the case of candidates holding a professional qualification recognised by the Council as justifying such a waiver, waive the requirement for the completion of a period of supervised training.
* The entrance fee is $310.00 while the annual subscription fee is $215.00. A Fellow is entitled to affix the initials "FSIArb" after his name.
5.2.1 Honorary Fellows must be persons of distinction who by reason of their eminence and experience relating to arbitration, or who appear to the Council to be able to present important assistance in promoting the objects of the Institute. Proposal for election of Honorary Fellow shall be made by the Council of the Institute on its own initiative, and the Council must give a statement of the grounds on which he is recommended, provided always that the Council Members present and voting at the meeting at which the nomination is considered must be unanimous in favour of the nomination to secure its approval.
5.2.2 Honorary Fellows shall be entitled to the ordinary privileges of membership but they shall not be entitled to vote at General Meetings or to take part in the management of the Institute or to be elected as an Officer or a member of the Council, nor shall they be required to pay any entrance fee or annual subscription.
The current Honorary Fellows of the Institute are:
RETIRED FELLOWS AND MEMBERS
5.7.1 Retired Fellows and Members shall be persons who:
184.108.40.206 have reached the age of sixty-five (65) years, and are not still engaged in any occupation directly or indirectly concerned with arbitration; and
220.127.116.11 have no right to vote at General Meetings of the Institute or take part in its management or to be elected as Officer Bearer or member of the Council but shall be required to pay such annual subscription or other payment as may from time to time be prescribed by the Council;
5.8 If a Retired Fellow or Member does engage in any income earning activities as arbitrator, he shall forthwith give written notice to the Honorary Secretary. If he wishes to remain as a member of the Institute, he shall apply for reinstatement as a Fellow or as a Member.
|The benefits accorded to the members of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators include:|
By submitting your membership application, you are deemed to have agreed to the following terms and conditions (as may from time to time be amended by SIArb):
1. You declare that you agree, if admitted, to be bound by the Constitution and Bye-Laws and by any subsequent amendments and/or alterations thereto which may be made from time to time.
2. You also declare that you agree that SIArb may list your name, organisation, designation and membership category in the public membership listing/directory on its website upon approval of your membership.
3. The Constitution requires that an applicant for election as Fellow, Member and Associate must be of age thirty-five (35) years, twenty-five (25) years and twenty-one (21) years respectively.
4. The Council may in exceptional circumstances, waive the age requirement for Fellowship applications in the case of an applicant holding a professional qualification or other professional experience recognised by the Council as justifying the waiver. Details of applicant’s professional qualification and experience must be submitted in writing for consideration of such waiver.
5.Every application for admission shall be sponsored by two members of the Institute who, from their personal knowledge of Applicant can support the application as follows:
"I have known the Applicant for a period of ___________ years, and I have read his/her completed application for membership. From my personal knowledge of the Applicant, I recommend him/her as a fit and proper person for consideration by the Council for membership of the Institute."
6. The Council emphasises that membership of the Institute only signifies an individual member’s interest and support of the objectives of arbitration, and does not imply his/her ability to act as arbitrator.
7. You are advised not to hold yourself out as Arbitrator merely by virtue of your being a Member or an Associate Member of the Institute.
8. The Council may decide either to:
a. Call the Applicant for interview, or
b. Invite the Applicant to comment in writing on a nominated subject related to arbitration or the arbitral process.
9. While there are no statutory requirements regulating those persons who may sit as arbitrators, the Council does not encourage parties to appoint those persons who have not attained the status of FELLOW of the Institute.
**10. Applications for membership must be accompanied by payments for:
** These fees commence from membership year 1 April 2018 - 31 March 2019.
*11. For applications approved after 1 October, please select the Half-Annual Subscription Fee. For applications approved before 1 October, please select the Annual Subscription Fee accordingly.
12. Applications for transfer must be accompanied by payments for the aggregate difference between the respective Entrance Fees and Annual Subscriptions.
13. Modes of Payment:
Account Name: Singapore Institute of Arbitrators l Account Number: 208-308-736-8 l SWIFT Code: UOVBSGSG l Bank: United Overseas Bank Limited, 148 Upper Bukit Timah Road, UOB Centre, Singapore 588178.
|30 Sep 2019|
04:45PM - 06:00PM
Pre-AGM Seminar: Looking into the Crystal Ball: Arbitration in Singapore, 2039 (30 September 2019)
|04 Oct 2019|
08:30AM - 06:00PM
SCMA: 10th Anniversary Conference 2019 – The Race to Relevance (4 October 2019)
|10 Oct 2019|
09:00AM - 05:30PM
Fellowship Assessment Course 2019 (FAC) (10 & 11 Oct) (Module 1)
|18 Oct 2019|
08:30AM - 05:30PM
Fellowship Assessment Course 2019 (FAC) (18 Oct) (Module 2, 3 and 4)
|19 Oct 2019|
09:00AM - 05:30PM
Fellowship Assessment Course 2019 (FAC) (19 Oct) (Module 5 and 6)
|21 Oct 2019|
08:30AM - 05:30PM
Fellowship Assessment Course 2019 (FAC) (21 Oct) (Award Writing Examination)
|26 Nov 2019|
10:00AM - 11:30AM
“Frontiers of Arbitration - Today’s Challenges”: Launch of the Singapore Arbitration Journal (26 November 2019)
|26 Nov 2019|
11:30AM - 08:00PM
SIArb Commercial Arbitration Symposium 2019 (26 November 2019)
|27 Nov 2019|
06:30PM - 10:00PM
SIArb Annual Dinner 2019 (27 November 2019)
|07 Dec 2019|
AABD: Regional Arbitral Institutes Forum (RAIF) Conference (7 December 2019)